Saturday, February 13, 2016

1996 Topps Pre-Production set #1-9

Topps Pre-Production sets have quickly become a must-have component to my collections.  As far as I can tell, they first started coming out around 1991 and continued through the mid-'00's.  Topps Pre-Production sets typically consist of 9 cards, but I've also heard of 6-card and 3-card sets too.  Currently, I have the Pre-Production sets for 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, and 2002 Topps.  The 1991-1993 sets consist of cards nearly identical to the base sets, but after that, variations start to show.  


The 1996 Topps Pre-Production set consists of 9 completely different cards from the base set.  Being the smallest Topps set since 1957, I welcome these 9 additions to my collection as variations.  Actually, one of the cards--Rafael Bournigal--doesn't even have a '96T base card with the team provided.


1996 Topps #PP1 Cal Ripken


1996 Topps #PP2 Thomas Howard and #PP4 Ron Gant


1996 Topps #PP3 Rafael Bournigal and #PP9 Hideo Nomo


1996 Topps #PP5 Chipper Jones


1996 Topps #PP6 Frank Thomas


1996 Topps #PP7 Barry Bonds


1996 Topps #PP8 Fred McGriff


2 comments:

  1. Those are cool... I somehow missed (or forgot) that Topps did pre-production cards that were sort-of-variations. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to pick up the Bournigal from that set. He live in my hometown when I was a teenager, and I saw him at the YMCA and he graciously offered to drive me home so I could get some cards and have him sign them. Years later he would come through my line when I worked as a cashier at the local grocery store. Great guy who I wish would've appeared in more Topps sets.

    ReplyDelete