Thursday, October 5, 2017

Jumpstarting the Appearance of your Vintage Collection Really Fast

     Lately, I've been listing a lot of my old reprint cards for sale from the early-'00s as they've been replaced with originals, including: 2001 Topps Through the Years inserts, 2001 Topps Archives, 2002 Topps Archives, and 2003 Topps Shoebox Collection.   


     When I first got back into collecting cards after returning back from military service in 2001, I wanted to catch up on my collection really fast for really cheap.  In addition to buying factory sets for modern cards and low-grade vintage commons, I purchased lots of reprints to use as place holders for my vintage sets, until they could later be replaced with originals. 


     I think reprints really started coming out around 1996 when the Mantle Commemoratives were released.  After that, we had the '97 Mays, '98 Clemente, '99 Ryan, and '00 Aaron Commemoratives before Topps Archives started releasing reprints in 2001-2002. 


     I never thought I'd actually replace any of the reprints inserted into my vintage sets with originals, but I wanted to include recognizable names among the many unheard of names in my '50s and '60s partials sets of common cards.


Since these are all Topps sanctioned reprints that are nearly identical to the originals, but obviously recognizable as reprints, no one is going to be deceived by the reprints if you ever go to sell your sets. 


  ...just an idea for some 'outside the box' thinking collectors that may have just started collecting vintage, or might just be thinking about starting a vintage collection. 




























 


No comments:

Post a Comment